Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The new version

So - here's version 2



I thought I would update it online and then use this for my presentation next week.

I have added the survey tool to my blog and would appreciate your feedback.
I am trying to write a survey on survey monkey but am struggling to decide on the questions I want to ask and the answers I really need!

This 2nd version is 10 minutes long and is a little more condensed than previously.
I have also talked about the particular educational theories behind my idea.
The first would be to cater to students different learning styles based on the VARK model, giving students who are visual, audio, reader/writer or kinaesthetic learners different material for study.
I also have related the plan to constructivism theory - I feel that if students produce their own portfolio of work that they can refer back to, reflect on and construct for themselves, they will feel more empowered and take ownership of their learning rather than being "spoon fed" the requirements to pass the course.
I have just noticed that both my children have been through their pre-schooling using this learning theory as they both went to Montessori pre-schools and experienced the wonderful constructive learning environment that Maria Montessori developed in the early 1900's.
Dr. Maria Montessori’s innovative approach was that “Education should no longer be mostly imparting of knowledge, but must take a new path, seeking the release of human potentialities.”
What a thought for us all as educators.

I would also link the plan to Jerome Bruner's scaffolding theory where students have supports to their learning.
These supports may include the following:

Resources
A compelling task
Templates and guides
Guidance on the development of cognitive and social skills
These supports are gradually removed as students develop autonomous learning strategies, thus promoting their own cognitive, affective and psychomotor learning skills and knowledge.

Comments would be appreciated and any feedback will be used in my evaluation of the plan

3 comments:

  1. Hi Helen

    Good work. I love the addition of your video clip on the slides. I think that connection is such an important aspect of teaching online or face to face and the video with your moving face certainly aids my sense of connection with you. I love that you have made the link between constructivist theory and your children's learning in a motessori environment. I'm a bit of a theory nerd so this kind of thing gets me excited. Good luck for Friday. I better noe turn my attention to my own presentation.

    Cheers
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! somebody didn't proof read their comment before posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny -thank-you for stopping by and finding time to comment - good luck with your presentation I shall be looking forward to seeing it "live"

    ReplyDelete