Thursday, September 10, 2009

Constructing courses to enhance learning

OK - so I need to discuss my planning for the course I am designing as part of the CCEL requirement.
I have been scribbling lots of notes on various bits of paper during moments of quiet in a very busy work day - assessment and International exam preparation time at the moment - and lots of stressed students needing lots of attention and coaching!

So the plan - (as the plan I made for the flexible learning course does not meet all of the criteria for this course - but - I have put the idea into practise already and all my students are making use of it - http://www.aorakibeautycert.blogspot.com/ if you want to check it out)

To develop a 5 credit course titled
"Clinical practice in the Beauty Therapy Salon"
The course would be delivered with 32 hours face to face over an 8 week period - as the focus is on performing treatments in a simulated salon environment and 18 hours delivered flexibly as self-directed learning.

The purpose of the course would be to enhance the students practical experience and make them more work ready. Constructivism theory is discussed here in more detail .
It would give the students the opportunity to use the skills that they have learned and build on their skills in a "simulated" real life working situation, and give them an idea of what they could experience at work - maybe even somewhere gorgoeous like this:



It will give students an opportunity to build on their knowledge and encourage some self-direction.
Students on the course would be part of the full-time Certificate in Beauty Therapy - the learning outcomes are quite broad at the moment and I made need to focus these to ensure that they can be assessed.
The majority of the students are school leavers, some are young mothers and several more mature ladies returning to study or seeking a change of career.
The learning style of the students tends to be a visual or kinsathetic learning style (see posting for more discussion on this)

I have organised a meeting in Timaru during the school holidays to discuss the feasability of using Moodle for the course -
The learning outcomes I am proposing :
L.O.1 - Perform a range of Beauty therapy treatments in a commercially acceptable time under salon conditions.
L.O.2 - Show professional standards of behaviour, grooming and hygiene in the salon environment


















L.O.3 - Review and reflect on all treatments performed in the salon.
L.O.4 - Describe and discuss the role of the receptionist and undertake reception duties as reuired.

I would expect to use moodle as the discussion board to assess learning outcomes 3 and 4 - possibly in the forum pages
I would use moodle as a repository for learning materials to support the students learning - I will also be trying to post short video clips and audio clips to cover LO's 3 and 4
L.O.'s 1 and 2 would need to be assessed in the salon setting - these learning outcomes may need a bit more refining .

I will add another post about how industry, and other stakeholders may need to be taken into account

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    looks like we are on the same page in a lot of our thinking...may "borrow" some of these down the track.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen
    I hadn't really picked up on the idea that learning is all construction and there is no Platonic reality out there until I read your link. Ouch! a good reading but I'm not sure if I can cope. I want nurses to think constructively about their roles, they can incorporate anything, but I want them to know some 'bottom lines' or some reality about physiology and pathophysiology.

    Different topic, your posting is clear about the course itself, but I wondered if this course replaces another or is in addition to your current courses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Ruth - the course is to replace one that is currently part of the Certificate Programme - and therefore I can write new learning outcomes that will suit our objectives - it will have to go through an approval process before delivery

    ReplyDelete