Saturday, September 19, 2009

Neomillenial learning and our students

Learning styles for the Neomillenial students
I have linked to this article on the WIKI that we have been collaborating on producing, but thought I would add the link here too!
Some interesting reading - I especially relate to the "napsterism-the recombining of other's designs to individual, personally tailored configurations" the orginal source of this idea is here about how we download music and create our own "albums" rather than buying the whole "L.P." (that's how old I am - I still remember buying my first record - !"


So, how does this relate to my students and the course I am designing?

Obviously it's looking increasingly important to cater for the students that come into this "neomillenial" group, and if I look at the age of the majority of students enrolled on the full time programme they are all born after 1982!! The latest enquiries have students born in 1993!
when this was number one!



and this age group have grown up with multimedia and digital media from the day they were born almost!
So how can I get this integrated into the course, and do I want to focus solely on these students,
as some of our students are certainly in the more mature age group to whom the thought of typing a document on the computer scares the life out of them.

So options for use of flexible learning - as I said in the previous post - I have come up with the rough ideas for the learning outcomes - now I need to think about the students and how I'm going to deliver any necessary learning and how I am going to be able to assess the learning.


We talked about this at the workshop last week -

Some options for delivering material -


  • Moodle - with quizzes, video tutorials, sequencing activities that we were shown the other day e.g. checking we are doing things in the right order

  • Workshops

  • Printed notes if necessary - not sure that they will be for this course

  • Forums

  • Videos of techniques

  • Audio for role plays of reception - ? recording the students as they participate in the activity - maynbe this could form part of assessment???

  • Video of students undertaking activities required - again ? assessment

Assessment activities will have to be approved by academic board and ensure they meet the quality criteria for course delivery through the Polytechnic, pre-assessment moderation would be carried out prior to the assessment tasks to ensure learning outcomes and assessment tasks are suitable and at the required level.


Industry liason would be sought at Advisory committee level to source feedback on the activities that industry requires students to be more competent in.


Our ITEC our international examing body expect all students to complete a number of case studies, and have a portfolio of work for their final examination, a practical clinic course would give students a further opportunity to enhance their skills on "real" people.


Much more to think about still - but now need to have a play with the .eXe thing! apparently it's the easy way of producing HTML according to our Web design tutor!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen
    That is a stimulating article. I want to disagree with it on many levels but every time I do I realise they could be right. Applying the napsterism idea, I could create a range of critical thinking modules related to key pathological principles and require the students to pick up and work through a module as they have a patient with the disorder. If they don't cover all of them it doesn't matter as long as they realise the method they need to use to gain understanding. They can continue to apply that later. I would design the module with multiple links out to google, to library databases and also require the student to include a link that they used to construct their learning.
    How does this fit with your curriculum - are there elements students could have a choice in. I imagine there are also "must-knows". How does that fit with napsterism?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth - you are so right - I was relating to napsterism on a personal level - thinking of my own mixture of music, rather than regarding my students!
    What a great thought about creating modules with links that they could pick up during the year.
    We could use that within Beauty Therapy when identifying contra-indications to treatments, we could set up links to characteristics, symptoms and as you have suggested get students to link to an item that they have researched for themselve - they may not need to access all the information at once but can source it when they need to. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete