Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Being accessible

Universal design; the first thought I had was to break down the title into the two words - Universal and Design and think about their meaning.
Universal to me literally means the whole, total, complete and usable for many things. I looked up the term universal in the answers.com on line dictionary and the "Encompassing all of the members of a class or group" definition I felt was particularly relevant in this instance.
Design to me is another word for plan, layout or even idea. Again; the answers.com on line dictionary has some suitable definitions, but the following was the most relevant
"plan something for a specific role or purpose or effect".

So; going back to Universal design, after some research on our favourite google I discovered that Universal design isn't just related to educational practise but covers things like larger handles on the can opener, wheelchair ramps into buildings and swimming pools, lever taps and braille buttons. However; I did find ths site http://www.udeducation.org/ to have lots of inteesting articles about universal design. The article teaching non-traditional students was particularly important.
So; universal design to my understanding is ensuring that our educational practises are wholly, completely and totally covering the whole class or student body and that we have plans and designs for all students whatever their ability or disablilty, nationality or belief.
I have so many ideas in my head on how to apply all these new ideas into my course that I really think I need to come up with one plan and stick to it! Is anyone else having trouble sorting out a plan - One of my main ideas is really a bit of a steal from the wonderful video clips from the chefs. I would love to get video's of the practical elements of the subjects I teach on line for the students to be able to view at any time; photo slideshows would work well too - maybe once I decide on the plan things will be clearer on how universal design can be incorporated into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment