Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Who am I?

How do I identify myself culturally? Well - I am English - like many of the other participants I think! The word "culturally" always puts me off when I am asked this question - I don't know why?

Even though New Zealand has been home for 13 years - England will still be home too! England is now so "multi-cultural" that I really don't think anyone could say that they are totally "English" although some people would probably disagree with me!

When the "English" are referred to it's usually alongside football (soccer to you kiwi's!), fish and chips(fush and chups) and beer (speights)! None of which appeal to me in the least!
The only really English culture I have is the cup of tea - this links you to a real Devonshire cream tea shot - with proper clotted cream !

So, I would probably use the words "educated" , but not in everything and certainly still learning. "Family" - the central part of my day to day life. "Traveller" - like exploring and investigating other cultures with the family - I'm sure I could write a lot - but it said we needed to be brief!

This is the link to Clyst st Mary - the village I lived in until leaving home, and below is a picture of the church we were married in.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen
    I too am English and coming up 6 years New Zealandish, so not quite as long as you. I'm taking a family holiday back to "good ol blighty" next month and am v. excited about seeing friends and rellies again. love all your pictures of all things English and the beautifull church you were married in. Check-out my blog to see where I was married.http://traceysflexibleblog.blogspot.com
    tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! You have pretty much written the same as me with regards to 'culture'. I feel I am a real mix of old-fashioned (and very historical) England and 'she'll be right' Kiwi - a wonderful mix :)

    ReplyDelete