Monday, May 4, 2009

What a lot to think about




What an awful lot to take in!
I have just listened to the elluminate session facilitated by Leigh and Bron on examples of flexible learning - it was quite hard to find my way round it to start with - I found myself fast forwarding to see how long it was going to be; then reading through the chat board; then rewinding and starting again. I think it would have been really beneficial to me to actually have attended the session; whether that was in an on-line environment or physically - I am still feeling a bit on the outside - not sure if this is a normal reaction from students who undertake this sort of learning. It may be something to do with my own learning style - I like the face-to-face contact and wonder whether this is why I am feeling this way.
I have been undertaking some of my own research and found a great little book by Christine Ward called "Teaching to Learn" which I am sure many of you will have read - really re-enforcing what I know we all do already.
I also found myself thinking much more about my delivery methods - one of my students studying body electrical treatments was struggling to understand the faradic current that is used. I devised an "analogy" ( and I think that's what it's called!) of a wave surging in one direction towards the beach and the wave stopping when it hit the sand - a faradic current is a surging interupted direct current.
She told me that she had gone home to Oamaru for the weekend and been able to tell her Mum that she eventually understood the faradic current - because she remembered the wave story.
On page 9 of the Teaching to learn book Christine states " now is the time for all wise teachers to consider the new knowledge and apply it in their teaching so their students become successful learners now and in the future"
I felt this was a very suitable statement for all of us to consider!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen,
    I took part in the elluminate session and it was quite a lot to take in on the day aswell....a very flexible experience. Great to hear from the experts, thank you Bronwyn and Leigh.

    ReplyDelete