Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Meeting the criteria

Nice to see some other people talking to us - I enjoyed receiving emails today - felt like I wasn't alone in this course anymore!!
This is I suppose the difficulty for those of us who like that 'face to face' contact. The very nature of the course is making me think outside my comfort zone of face to face delivery and think of some ways to be more flexible in my delivery.
Check out the flexible learning at Holborn college movie clip; a great piece of marketing!
the information on the support for learning site also made for some insightful reading. I particularly enjoyed the teaching and learning through social networks article; particularly when the author theorises "But sometimes the best way to explain something to someone is to simply show it to them" that links us to a virtual world called second life.
I have managed to find the Aoraki Polytechnic charter and am trying to wade through the waffle to find any references to flexible learning; I know they must be there somewhere but may be hidden as other things; am I right in thinking that where the charter states "providing learning environments that are accessible, supportive and appropriate for students with disabilities" this would be a form of flexible learning?
I just love this clip - some very flexible learning going on from the amazing French and Saunders !!!

4 comments:

  1. Great finds!! :)

    I watched the Holborn first, you're right - great marketing, and nice little capture of the need for flexible learning.. I really liked it, and it does argue that online can meet a lot of those needs.. except for people who can't access or use the Internet effectively.. :)

    Had me chuckling out loud in the office for the youtube clip..

    And the reading from the BC.. what a strong opening:

    "In 2007, the British Council conducted market research into how the Internet has affected the preferred learning styles of young people wanting to learn English around the world. The results of this research suggest that if teachers are to remain relevant and effective, then they need to use 'learning technologies' to help students reach the world outside the classroom.Enticed and reading it now. Many thanks for blogging these Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat video clip. Just the sort of thing to enjoy in the last five minutes of work. I am interested to read about English learning as that is my field. Thanks to you and Leigh for passing that on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Leigh - thanks for comments - I thought the British Council article was really relevant to us on our course - found the article purely through the wonderful google.co.uk search. French and Saunders just make me smile! and could I think be indicative of some of our learners feelings towards computers!
    @ hadashi - glad you enjoyed the clip - check out the link to secondlife.com - that seemed to relate clearly to Learning English

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Helen

    I will do that. Have passed on the link to your blog to a bunch of people :-)

    ReplyDelete